Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sermon for Galveston

This week was long, and in two hours I'm hosting 30 strangers in my house so we can call Obama supporters in Michigan and remind them to vote.  I've over-committed myself and, therefore, become a B student at everything I do.  Bear with me, faithful readers, and I'll be your dependable reverend again soon.

In the meantime, here is something I wrote for Galveston when my heart was broken.

I wrote it as a prayer.



Galveston, I


how the history book says, even a simple request or complaint among tribal members was preceded by the shedding of mutual tears

how you sit in a thick sea of green carpet and sip tea while you interview the old man

how his arthritic hands quiet while his voice bobs through time

how he asks you the same question 

how you never give the real answer: He is his own island

how the history book says, La Salle's shipwrecked men referred to this tribe contemptuously as "the weepers"

how you have imagined your grief into a barrier island separate from your vast continent of self

how your grief shows up at the edges in makeshift boats, its many faces sun-blotched, starving, suffused with sorrow

how you play the evil immigration officer, the stickler for the rules

how you try not to drag sand from your shoes and hair into the house

how the latest thin letter on the coffee table will contain new words to say the same old thing you've heard too much: don't want you

how the history book says, but these crying fits were not a sign of weakness

how when you open each letter you feel your body buoy itself so as not to dissolve into anything

how you never allow yourself to dissolve into anything anymore

how everyone around you is weeping so you cannot be porous

how you suspect the hull of your house, if it hears too much weeping, will begin to weep itself

how you check the faucets at night for leaks

how you swipe the windows for condensation

how you wake in the middle of the night to find your hand against the dry wall as if to hold it up or as if your palm presses into the chest of a lover to say, again, There you are and Here I am

how those words sound less true than You are there and I am here

how the history book says, without speaking a word, both wept bitterly for half an hour

how I-45, stitched on each side by equal numbers of churches and strip clubs can become the gateway to your surfacing

how the first poet says I have a great admiration for ships and other people's handwriting

how the second poet says what I'm trying to say is the body can take a hell of a lot

how the first poet says compared to my heart's desire the sea is a drop

how the ghosts will float

how the history books rarely prepare us

how your chest's skin reddens, flakes, darkens into a shadow of fingers

how the history book says entire subdivisions have slid beneath the water and been abandoned

how the evening sun is a storm

how your letter is signed, salt-sealed, shipwrecked

how you rock on the front porch swing alone and listen to its back splash against the house

how, how, how

2 comments: